Last weekend I started off some seeds in a mini propagator and promptly ignored them.
A few days later when I tripped over the tray... Look, growth!
I probably should tell you how I got this little bit of magic started, just incase anyone is foolish enough to take my advice??!!
- Get a copy of 'Grow Fruit and Veg by Carol Kleine or like me have a great friend who knows your ambition well enough to surprise you with a copy. Fantastic book. Simple information and instructions for growing every possible vegetable.
- Mix together 50/50 compost and horticultural sand (not normal sand, I think it has chemicals in it).
- Press into seed trays or small pots. I do two thirds compacted then sprinkle the last third and lightly compact.
- Add seeds (see individual packets for instructions) and add cover with more compost if instructed.
- Important - Label your seeds even if it's a tray of one sort you will forget, although it could be a nice free suprise for you come the summer.
- Water gently - the best way is to soak pots or tray in water for a about 1/2 hour or until compost is moist.
- Place somewhere warm until you see some shoots. If you've used a propagator remove the lid once the shoots appear other wise they sweat then rot - attractive thought!